Thursday, April 28, 2011

Notes from California-EMV Part 4

This is the last post from California as I am hopping onto a bus in a few hours to make it to the airport and wait 6 hours for our 0500 flight back home. I have really enjoyed my time out here with my Marines and have learned quite a bit more about the USMC and what to expect in Afghanistan. The desert environment has been quite the challenge on me and my equipment and I learned tricks to overcome that. One thing I would improve is to have some dedicated training/mentoring for the Religious Ministry Teams (Chaplain and RP) that come out here for a month. It is a mentality of go figure out how to operate under a schedule and training environment that is nothing like deployment. So, RP and I had to figure out ways to make the training effective for us.

We did five foot patrols with the guys in a mock town in two days this week to get our teamwork and communication down. We have some more work to do, but there has been a good start and we can build on that next week and during our in country training period.

I got to participate in a few key leader engagements with Afghan role players. I was just there to engage with their religious leader if needed. It was great to learn the culture in an intense setting and to eat Afghan food. I did get to say a prayer at one of the meetings. It was odd saying a prayer as a Christian in a room of Muslims. I gather I did a good job as it was well received and I heard a comment of how our prayers are very similar. 

Easter was great, despite preaching in 30+ mph winds. 80 people showed up across all three services throughout the afternoon. We couldn't do a sunrise service due to the training schedule, but I was pleased with the turnout. We'll see how many show up once we get into country. I am predicting a pretty good turnout, but that depends on how things are going.

It was a good experience for RP and I to bond and get a good feel for how we work together and what the stressors are for each of us. We also learned what happens to each of us as we get tired and exhausted. I am really looking forward to heading out in a few weeks and ministering where there is a distinct and great need.

No comments: