Saturday, April 23, 2011

Notes from California-EMV Part 3

It has been a good two weeks out here. The battalion seems to be performing well. I'm not a ground combat tactician so I'm basing that on what I am hearing, etc. The Marines are in good spirits and are eager to get this last week done and get back to NC. I can say I am there with them.

I have had a good time out there watching artillery do their job in the combined arms portion of this long training. It is weird being out in the field with weapons flying overhead. You definitely hear them coming before you see them land about a mile away. My RP and I have yet to spend more than two nights in any one location. We are getting tired by all the traveling, but it is rewarding and I am there to serve my Marines so that is what we get to do. We did get the last two nights back at Camp Wilson for some rest and refit. We are heading back out in two hours for the last event here that will last until Thursday and then on Friday we are off to the airport for the flight back to NC.

I would have some great photos from the last week or so, but the cell phone literally cooked in the heat and isn't working at all. And my camera didn't make it past the first week.

Next up is getting ready for the Easter preaching extravaganza tomorrow as I plan to do 4 services so I can be at every company position for Easter. That is why the rest over the last few days has been well timed. Last week I got to do something pretty special and participated in a Passover Seder out in the field. I had to order the meals for everyone three months ago due to the special order nature of the event, but it was great to participate in such a setting for a special meal. I even got a thank you email from one of the moms for making sure to think about the Jewish Marines out here. That was one of the emails that makes the job worthwhile.

No comments: