Monday, April 11, 2011

Notes from California-EMV Part 2

So I just got back to the main base out here, Camp Wilson, sort of unexpectedly due to some training I have to give to all the companies before we leave here and two of them are back here for the next two days so I get to give them the training tomorrow. It will be nice to get a shower and do some laundry. The soda I just finished was amazing after not having anything cold to drink for the last two weeks. What a great time out in the field though. I was able to get out with each of the companies for a few nights over that time and held some field services with good attendance numbers of about 10% of the companies. I also got to get out and walk alongside the Marines as they performed on some live fire ranges, one of which I have heard them talk about since the day I arrived 6 months ago. Range 400 out here is a sort of coming of age type experience for the infantry types and I must say it was quite impressive. I walked along with the Battalion Commander who provided some great insight into what I was seeing. There were times where machine guns were firing overhead and I was 100 yds from explosions of all kinds. Pretty surreal to say the least.

We have endured all kinds of weather out here in the desert. From 100 degree days to 30 degree nights to even some rain and 50 mph winds. It is truly looking like a great place to get that final training in before we head out and deploy. I'll leave now so I can go and finish some other work, relax and get some sleep before getting up late tomorrow (6 am instead of 4am like the past few days.)

No comments: