Friday, May 9, 2008

That time of year

I am not real sure how this post will come out as it is the first one, but I'll give it the old college try. Now that I have finished school for the year and survived the first year of seminary I thought doing the blogging thing may help friends keep up with this crazy journey of mine that started a few years ago.

As for the meat of this posting, it is that time of year for commissioning all the new Navy Ensigns and Marine Corps 2nd LT's. This will go on for the next few weeks in rapid succession all across the country. I reminisce on this as today I had the honor of not just attending the Duke NROTC commissioning ceremony, but I actually was invited to participate in this momentous event for 8 young men and women. I delivered the invocation and the benediction at Duke Chapel of all places. The whole experience was truly humbling, especially when bringing up memories of my commissioning as a line officer 12 years ago next month.

There is something absolutely magical about sitting in Duke Chapel. The large and magnificent stained glass windows, the amazing architecture, etc. Though it was not used in the ceremony, I highly recommend sitting in Duke Chapel, or any large gothic chapel, and listening to the organ in the middle of the day outside of any service. So that was the scene, but the real powerful part came from being tasked to pray over men and women that will face combat within the next year. It provided a sense of necessity for making the prayers relevant and encouraging for these young adults that have chosen to serve something greater than themselves. I probably put a great deal more time into preparing the two short prayers than many others I have crafted at worship services over the past year. I think the prospect of actually being part of the "official party" and the fact that I would speak at Duke Chapel made me a slightly nervous even knowing that the words would most likely be forgotten in short order.

The whole experience really was affirming in that I know I am truly called to military chaplaincy. I have experienced many other small events such as this over the past few years confirming my call to ordained ministry, but this was the first time where I participated in a military function such as will become commonplace in my future. I just hope that I still get chills up my spine and slightly nervous in these occasions as I do every time I stand up to preach, pray or otherwise proclaim God's word to people.

To the Duke NROTC class of 2008: Fair Winds and Following Seas.

No comments: