Friday, May 30, 2008

An Adventure Filled Year or so

It is really interesting and quite amazing for me to sit back and look at what all has happened over the last 15 months in my life. I started off 2007 as a department head on a submarine in Pearl Harbor and today I sit as a Navy Chaplain Candidate who just completed his first year of seminary. So a quick tour of this period:
Terminal Leave and a trip to Kauai (First time after over 6 years in Hawaii)
Learned to surf (The day before I left the island for good)
Traveled across country
Found out I got into Duke (I left Hawaii no knowing where I would eventually live)
Lived with the parents for a summer
Sold two houses and bought one
Spent two weeks at Montreat Youth conferences
Participated in the Duke Youth Academy for Christian Formation
Began Seminary
A year of Volunteering at the UNC Children's Hospital
Two trips to LA for ordination requirements
Re-commissioned as an ENS in the Chaplain Candidate Program (From an O-4 in the Sub force)
Ran a Marathon (My 5th)
Preached my first sermon ever
Taught a confirmation course for my internship
Participated as a Chaplain candidate in a commissioning ceremony
Visited my home church in Hawaii for ordination requirements

Now I know many people have much more happening in their lives, but for someone who had the Navy routine governing my life and really limiting everything to what happens on the ship that we can't discuss, this is a huge change in life. I am back off to Montreat again tomorrow to work with those amazing High School kids for two weeks starting the cycle again. I am amazed at what has happened in my life over the last year or so and can't wait to see what happens in year two of this journey of mine. I knew it would be something special and amazing to pull me away from the submarine force and it has not disappointed.

No comments: