Monday, April 23, 2012

Where Everbody Knows Your Name

I had the pleasure of heading up to DC this past weekend to visit with some old friends and attend the Submarine Birthday Ball on Friday night. I can't tell you how amazing it was to see faces I haven't seen in almost 10 years and have a conversation as if we saw each other just last week. If there is any question as to the bonds forged in the military, Friday night serves as a prime example of how important those bonds are to us. Everywhere we are sent with the military as long as we find a group of military persons who have served in our specialty we will find friends. For me it was refreshing to hang out with a bunch of submarine qualified individuals for just a night to remind me of my military roots and see those who inspired me to take the path I am now on.

There were 5 of the 16 students in my department head class, 5 of the 67 in my initial training pipeline, a former boss, one of my sonar techs who is training for an elite sonar designation in the DC area, a fellow instructor from Nuclear Power School, a former JO who is now a doctor and a fellow department head from my second ship, a former student of mine from power school and all of their significant others. I couldn't help but hear the theme song from Cheers in my head as I kept running into people I knew and had no idea were stationed in DC.

It is nights like this past Friday that make me realize just how special this whole military community truly is.

No comments: