Thursday, July 28, 2011

Notes From Afghanistan Part 4

I don't realize just how busy my life is out here until I see how infrequently I am posting and updating people back home. I rarely get a block of time to sit at the computer and compose some thoughts and when I do get a good chunk of time I am usually on Facebook for the sole purpose of posting photos for the families of my Marines and sailors. And on the slow connections we have out here it takes about an hour for every 10-15 photos.

So, it seems I haven't posted in over a month about what is going on out here and the last time I posted while I was at Camp Dwyer for a conference. And as it would happen I am posting again not from Camp Dwyer, but back at Geronimo after the most recent conference I attended. It has been quite a busy month, especially seeing how we have had two other chaplains come out for a visit, one to check in on me and see how I am doing and the other was the Catholic priest to come out and provide mass for the Catholics in the battalion. He did a great job and I received nothing but positive feedback from the guys that attended his services. The priest held 5 services in one day amidst traveling all around the area to visit every company position so all would have a chance to take in a service if possible. It was during that trip, because I was focused on making sure a fellow chaplain could visit all my guys, that I realized just how much chaplains accomplish each day. Plus, I am looking at my calendar for this month and am amazed at the lack of white space due to the travel schedule for myself and the RP.

We finally got out to Alpha Company, who are working for another battalion, and spent a few days there to visit and check in on the guys. Hopefully the schedule allows for that to become a routine monthly occurrence. They, like all the other guys, are doing well and are doing good things in their area though they may not fully appreciate the good they accomplish each day. The companies around here also continue to impress and the other chaplains who visit remark on their spirits and their professionalism.

Part of my job lately has been to provide Ramadan awareness training for all the Marines and sailors, especially as I travel anyways it made sense for me to give that training. I am looking forward to seeing how the Afghans observe the upcoming holy month and am confident that I will learn a great deal about their culture from watching them observe Ramadan. I have already learned a great deal through providing the training and talking with Muslims about the holiday and what all that entails and how it affects them each year. It has been eye opening living so immersed in another culture, it makes me think that I am on less of a deployment and more of a long-term full immersion mission trip. Especially as my eyes have become wide open to the humanitarian need out here.

One thought before I go: I am amazed and humbled by the generosity of the American public. We are constantly receiving care packages in the mail. The last two mail drops have included about 45 packages each time for the general use of the battalion. I am doing all I can to get them out to the companies as soon as we can find space on the convoys because I will run out of room if we don't. For those who have sent stuff, thank you so much as what you send gets to us right as we need those items and it keeps the supply fresh and flowing out to the men.

2 comments:

Erika moore said...

My brother is in 1/9 bravo I was wondering where you post pics on Facebook?

Bubblehead Chaps said...

Erika,

The photos are on the 1/9 Connections page on Facebook. If you aren't a member you need to contact the FRO to get access as it is a closed group. There is an album for each company and you can look for your brother that way. None of the photos are tagged (for OPSEC) so there may be some looking.