Friday, May 20, 2011

Greetings From Afghanistan

We arrived at Camp Dwyer in Afghanistan yesterday morning at about 9am. From there it was getting settled in and walking around getting a feel for the layout of this base. It is pretty impressive here as it is the larger base that we will report to and such. We are only here for a few days before we head out to our area of operations. We are scheduled for a good deal of training over the next few days to orient ourselves with the area, culture, specific procedures, etc. I am ready to get to our final destination, but it is nice to have a decent place in the rear to come back to. There are about 5 dining halls, an MWR tent from which I am typing this right now, a gym, a PX, laundry facilities, etc. I think I have to come back up here around once a month, so it will be a nice break. I know that my RP will like the break as well.

The only thing I really know about this place is that there is a lot of open desert around here and it is hot. I think it was 110 yesterday. Not all that bad, but the fact that at 6am we were in rain and 50 degree weather made the shock of that temperature that much worse. I hope to get some kind of decent internet access where we are going so that I can continue to update what it is like out here.

Today I will do some more walking around finding the chaplains and see what the worship schedule is like for tomorrow and the other days we are here as well as if I need to preach tomorrow. Plus, I might get an idea as to when I am heading out of here. I think it all depends on when the chaplain I am relieving is heading this way as there is a issue of rack (sleeping) space out there.

No comments: