Sunday, December 26, 2010

Week In Review (Dec 20th-26th 2010)

Short week is the best way to describe the past week.  That just means that we did 5 days worth of work in 3.

Monday was filled with briefs and other office work as is becoming the routine.  Went to dental for a checkup in the morning.  Of course they scheduled my cleaning on my day off.  Had an intel brief and overview of the upcoming deployment.  It gave me some framework with which to start planning our ministry plan for when we finally get in country.  I also did my first PRT since coming back on active duty.  I wanted to get one on the upcoming fitrep and to get on the cycle with the rest of the Navy personnel in the battalion.  I should have pushed the sit-ups a bit more and maxed those out.  I was remembering the old scoring system where your weakest area governed your overall score.  I figured I would run about 11min so didn't worry about the other areas too much.  I ran a 9:55 and should have maxed the sit-ups like I did the push ups then the overall would have been much higher.  Oh well, lesson learned for the spring cycle.

Tuesday was more meetings in the morning getting some predeployment presentations ready and then the afternoon was a cultural brief for the deployment.  That was pretty interesting and I got some good book recommendations from the presenter.  I also learned I can get some one-on-one tutoring on the local language before we deploy and will set up a schedule this coming week.  I think knowing the language, however limited, will help break the ice and open doors with the locals when we are deployed. 

Wednesday was a medical stand down which meant I had to have my record checked for a few things.  Seeing how I just checked in nothing was a surprise and I had to get a typhoid vaccination (its my 3rd one since joining) because the record didn't transfer.  I need to find that yellow card soon to update everything.  I get to endure the yellow fever one again once they have enough people to open a vial.  And I am sure there are more shots coming before the deployment.  We then put everyone on their 96 hour liberty and had our holiday party.  They moved the schedule up 30 minutes from what was published so I literally walked in to the party right as the CO was calling for me to do the blessing.  Divine intervention got me there in time to do the blessing and not miss my one job for the evening.

Spent the weekend at home for Christmas and got to see some snow finally.  I kept hearing all the people back in Durham talk about snow repeatedly this winter and was getting a little jealous.


The above picture is my parent's neighborhood right before I left this afternoon.  I was grateful that the NC DOT did a wonderful job clearing the roads this morning and that allowed me a smooth ride back.  There was one wreck on I-40 and I still can't figure out how it happened.  The road was completely dry where it occurred and there were 5 cars involved.

Next week is another short week as the 96 hour ends tomorrow afternoon and then we get another one starting Thursday at noon.  I can't go anywhere as I have CACO watch for the next 10 days starting tomorrow. 

No comments: