Monday, June 16, 2008

Montreat Rocks

I finished two weeks of ministry during the first two weeks of the Montreat Youth Conferences in Montreat, NC. This is an amazing time during which hundreds of Presbyterian high school youth from around the country descend on the sleepy town. The conferences have a fairly set schedule with energizers, music and a keynote speech each morning followed by two small group sessions, I was there to lead one of those, worship every evening and then discussions with their home churches to close out the day. The youth are focused around a biblical theme that attempts to challenge them to live out their faith in the world. I have attended in many capacities over the years and am really grateful for the opportunity to continue my participation every year. It is a tiring and rewarding experience. They youth are phenomenal and are allowed to just be who they are and the staff are an amazing group of people as well. I am amazed at the number of close friendships forged every year in such a short time.

This year was especially interesting as I actually performed on stage for a portion of keynote both Tuesdays. I have not been on stage to act in almost 20 years, so it was quite a thrill to participate in that way this year. The experience has me wanting to come back sometime as a keynoter or even the preacher once I am out of seminary. I think it would be a powerful experience to deliver a message to a group of youth eager to make their mark on the world. The amazing thing about the audience is that by the end of the week, most of the youth have dropped all their walls and are ready and willing to listen to what people have to say. They see a glimpse of what the body of Christ means and maybe some of them go out and try to live that life outside the gates of Montreat.

Now that I am back from that mountain paradise, I have to deal with packing for my Chaplain training that I depart for on Thursday, get an AC unit fixed, get the car in the shop, complete some scholarship applications and try to get some sleep and relaxation before school starts. I plan to make entries every week from Newport, Rhode Island but we will see how that goes.

No comments: