Tuesday, November 11, 2008

On the Eleventh Hour of the Eleventh Day...

Today marks the 90th anniversary of the treaty of Versailles, ending the war to end all wars or so we hoped. Armistice day was created to commemorate that day and later it became what we know as Veteran's Day. It is really odd for me to actually have to work on that day as I have had to do the last two years after getting it off for every other year of my life, including in school. I never really thought about the day until I had to labor in school on this day. I have never really considered myself a veteran as I didn't see any combat, though there were some stressful and scary days on the boat. I guess that is something I learned from my dad. He never looked for recognition (was a Navy HM), but made sure that others were appreciated. When I think of veteran I think of my grandparents. So today I called them and it made me appreciate what they gave me today. My grandfather no longer knows who I am, nor does he likely remember the Battle of the Bulge (not that he ever talked about it). But his sacrifice over there allows me to live in a country of phenomenal liberty and peaceful transfers of power.

In seminary, they tend to forget those who serve because it can get violent and nasty but I am of the opinion that someone has to get out there and protect the weak and it might as well be me. As for all the others that are out there tonight standing on the wall, on the fireline, in a trench, in a tank, on the midwatch, in a ready room or sleeping getting ready for tomorrow I thank you and I am extremely grateful for writing a check that is payable to the US Government for up to and including your life. I pray it never gets cashed and you get to come back to your family and friends and let someone else take a turn on the pointy end of the spear. For those that have served, job well done.

I didn't get to do what I wanted tonight, watch my favorite episode of Band of Brothers--Why We Fight. I think every American should watch the entire series, but that episode in particular. It shows what we all stand for here and validates why people choose to give up a normal life for the excitement that comes in the military. If you are so moved, donate to a charity for those who served such as the Wounded Warrior Project or the DAV or just tell them thanks.

With the thanks of a grateful nation.

No comments: