Tuesday, November 18, 2008

BZ Golden Corral

Last night my parents and I went to the annual military appreciation day hosted by Golden Corral. For those not living in the few states where this restaurant has a presence, all military members past and present get a free meal. It is one of those steak houses with a LARGE buffet. What makes it so amazing is that they give the meals out on the honor system. For us mom paid and dad and I took advantage of the free meal.

The place was packed as you might expect and on first glance it looked like they weren't going to make any kind of money with all the veterans running around eating as much as they wanted. However, last year the company cleared millions of dollars of revenue on that day alone. Now why mention this? It shows that if you are generous, you actually can benefit from that. I am sure there are many of people who bend the truth and say they are veterans for the free meal. Personally, I say go for it. If you need a meal that bad and someone is offering a healthy buffet for free take advantage of it. After all isn't that part of what we stood up to serve for? Plus, they know that most people are going to fess up and pay if they need to, especially based on the amount of revenue they get. Another benefit is there are people collecting donations for the DAV and other charities that benefit wounded veterans. I can't imagine how much they collect on this night as I saw many people dropping money in the buckets.

If you are ever in one of those states where there is a Golden Corral I invite you to take part in this dinner next November. They seat you as you come at tables of 6-8 so you get to meet other service members and have a great discussion at the table. I know I will continue to go back when I am in the area and partake in this annual dinner.

No comments: