Saturday, June 4, 2011

Notes from Afghanistan

We are safely in our new home for the next seven months. We got here a few weeks ago and are in the final stages of taking over from another unit that has started their journey home. They did some great things out here making this place better for the locals and we are looking to make it that much safer before we finally leave.

Based on my first impressions of the place, I wasn't too sure there was anything but open space and dirt (what they affectionately call moon dust out here because it is like baby powder). However, I got to get out with a convoy the other day and was surprised at how green this place can get near the major river that runs through our area. It was also nice to get near the district center and see what the hub of activity looks like in Afghanistan. One good thing about my job is I get to travel around frequently to see my Marines. This also allows me to see the area and meet some of the locals, both of which I am looking forward to doing.

My RP and I have assumed the duties of ministry in this area so tomorrow is the first day of preaching on the FOB and we are getting settled in. We are also expecting mail tomorrow and with that the first batch of care packages specifically for 1/9. We have been sorting the ones from the previous unit this last week and getting those out to the companies to make room for all the love people are sending specifically to 1/9. The next post after this one will be an updated request list. The American people are extremely generous to those deployed out here and we are very appreciative, even if most of the service members fail to tell people that back home. The care package items are quite the draw that gets people to stop by the chapel and we have plenty to give them thanks to all of you who send stuff our way.

It looks like there will be few if any photos to post on the blog over the next few months. The computer rules around here are pretty strict due to recent security leaks, etc. I am still trying to find a way to get them posted here and will do so as soon as I can figure a reliable method that stays within the rules.

No comments: