Monday, June 13, 2011

Notes From Afghanistan Part 2

Last week was a busy week for the RP and myself. We held our first service as the Religious Ministry team on Sunday the 5th and haven't really let off the gas since. I did the invocation for the Turnover of Authority ceremony on Tuesday and we immediately went out to visit one of the companies for a few nights. We got back on Thursday and then on Friday headed back out to visit another company coming back in on Saturday night, just in time to get ready for the meetings and services on Sunday. And now we are back out with another company for a few nights. Right now I am doing part of my duty as chaplain and posting photos on Facebook for the families to see their Marines and give them a small glimpse into what is going on out here.

We got our first batch of mail and care packages last Sunday, though I know there are many more still at Camp Dwyer. We are supposed to get another batch on Thursday so that means a bit of work for RP and I to get them all sorted this weekend so we can get the stuff organized and ready to ship out to the companies as soon as we get room on a convoy. And it seems that all we do is ride around on convoys from one place to another. I am keeping track of the number of convoys and am curious to see how many I will end up riding in by the end of our deployment.

Yesterday afternoon I got to see my first ever USO show. Four deployments later I finally get to see one. This is definitely one positive change from being on a submarine for deployments previously. It was a group of three female comedians who flew out to our FOB to do a show and then flew right back out to another location. They were pretty good and it was nice to have a bit of a live comedy routine to liven up the day.

No comments: