Monday, January 31, 2011

Notes From the Field

I can't really remember a day by day blow of the past two weeks as we went out for a Field Exercise (FEX) on the 19th and came back out of the field on the 27th. I have to admit I had a great time despite the cold temperatures (less than 32 every night, one night it got to 15 before the wind chill). It was great to get out there with the Marines and have a first hand view of what they do regarding their training for the upcoming deployment. From a professional point of view, I have a greater understanding of what they do every day and because I was out there in the cold, rain and snow with them I now have a stronger bond with them and they trust me more than anytime in the last two months.

I got to perform three worship services out in the field and learned that weekday services during training may not work. I'll try one more time when we are in Ft. Pickett next month so we'll see how that works out but it still won't keep me from traveling around to where the Marines are to be present for them as much as possible. The first time I served communion to them was in a tent where the only light was a kerosene heater and green chem lights. Talk about a new way to worship. Two hours later I was in a church looking building in a fake town serving communion to a much larger crowd because three companies were all located within about 100 yards of the church. It was a truly amazing experience and I look forward to the future services with them.

I would post the sermons but I used notes instead of a manuscript because it didn't seem appropriate to use a manuscript in the setting we had. The weekday sermon was based on Psalm 100 and focused on why we worship using the imperative commands in the passage as the reasons why we gather as a community to worship. The Sunday service used the words of institution from 1 Corinthians 11 as the text and explored why we celebrate communion, specifically what we are remembering when we come to the Lord's table.

Some highlights and fond memories from the FEX. Seeing the guys smile and perform at a high level in miserable conditions, especially the day it snowed. Watching them interact with the role players and deal with the scenarios given in mock towns that looked and sounded like those in the Middle East. Marines taking over the job of the RP when he was gone qualifying at the rifle range; guys were making sure everything was taken care of and that I wasn't getting into trouble and staying safe. Watching one company do some machine gun training. Getting to know my RP better. Staying the night in CONEX boxes and bombed out buildings. Sitting down under a tree having dinner with one of the corpsmen.

                                              Company preparing to move in the snow
                                           The church building in which we held one service.
                                              Some weapons training in the late afternoon.

Now it is time to get ready for going with the battalion off base for the next exercise and starting to figure out our ministry rotation while we are deployed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I enjoy reading your blog. Keep it coming. Rev'd Jeffrey Goodman PA-USA