Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Presbytery Fun

So I got back from LA and the Presbytery meeting late Sunday night. Then I spent all day yesterday and today playing catch up from the trip. I now feel back on track. Amazing what a short weekend trip can do to the study habits. I did get to see some great friends, two of whom are leaving in a few months that I will really miss when I travel out there next school year. I did get to satisfy my Jamba Juice addiction, there aren't any out here, and really enjoyed the 70 degree weather. Especially seeing how it is in the teens tonight with a good chance of snow.

Some observations on the meeting. It confirms my suspicion that the PCUSA is just spinning it's wheels around the wrong issue. I posted about it already on this blog. I just think that we are focusing on the symptoms and not the root cause of the denomination losing its focus. There was a meeting here in Durham about an upcoming amendment regarding ordination standards and the wording was so weak that it would pass the lawyer test, but doesn't really change anything or say anything. I guess, it is just more ambiguity for pastors to navigate in explaining what it means to be Presbyterian.

On a positive note, I got a good feel for what it will be like going for candidacy later this year and ordination next year. We had a number of individuals hit those marks on Saturday and I am confident in my ability to navigate the landmines in the process. Now just to pass the exams in August. I was also very impressed by the theological care and debate around the ecumenical statements that the church proposed. It was nice to see something honestly debated and voted on and then everyone going about their business after the vote. Hopefully that trend continues when they vote on the ordination standards later this year.

Perhaps the most amusing thing occurred on Friday night when there was a high speed chase on the 91 in LA. It started at 2217, but the TV stations didn't go live until 2300 and then kept it live until the arrest at 2332, just in time for Leno and Letterman. It was riveting TV with the commentator in the helicopter narrating and getting everyone excited for the pit maneuver that never happened. The driver hit the wall on his own and then slowed down to a stop and got arrested. Got to love LA in January. Last year, I got to watch the Griffith Park fire on TV all night. Come to think of it, I haven't seen a full news cast at night out there in a while due to crazy events.

Well, time to relax a bit before getting some shut eye and try to catch up on lost sleep.

No comments: