Sunday, February 8, 2009

Exercise + Donuts = Insanity

So I took a small study break yesterday morning and headed over to the NC State campus for the craziest running event I have ever seen. The Krispy Kreme Challenge. I did this last year as well and really enjoyed the idea and watching everything in action. Plus, all the proceeds go to the UNC Children's Hospital ($35K to be exact). As a disclaimer, I didn't attempt the full challenge, I just go to watch and get a little exercise.

So for those brave enough to give it a go:

Run 2 miles from the NC State Belltower (a local landmark) to the Krispy Kreme
Eat a dozen Krispy Kremes (cold ones)
Run 2 miles back
Do it in less than 60 minutes

You can just imagine what happens to most of the participants and there was plenty of evidence on the street. I have put a few photos from the event below. I must say, it is nice to go to a race that the overwhelming majority don't really care about the time. There are always creative costumes and team names and everyone I met was friendly and joking around the entire run. I even met some USNA types that had gotten liberty just to come and run the race. I plan to run again next year to watch and help out the kids.


Festivities at the Krispy Kreme



People eating their donuts, notice the guy with the duct tape, he taped speakers and an iPod to his body to provide tunes for everyone on the race course.


5200 runners lining up. You can see some of the costumes in the crowd.

No comments: