Saturday, December 6, 2008

Why CBS needs to give up the Army-Navy Game

Again, CBS completely botched their coverage of the game. I do give them credit for actually having an announcer with knowledge--Boomer Esiason. And, they did actually show the singing of the alma mater after the game, but other than that, pretty poor performance. I would almost like to see NBC get the game because at least those announcers have seen Navy play once each season and know the players. I miss the days of ABC having the game and really focusing less on advertising and more on the traditions and reason behind the game. I especially miss the spirit spots that units from around the world, and at the academies, make for the game. Only 3 (for a total of about 90 seconds) in a 3 1/2 hour time slot. Gimme a break. Especially seeing how there are such creative spots on youtube that were submitted. I just hope it is the network denying the air time and not the powers that be at the academies.

So I have included a few of my favorites from a quick web search. Even being a Navy guy, the milkman spot by the Army that got broadcast was creative and funny. I would have included that one, but couldn't find it easily.

One from the Sub force (had to include that one):



This one is my favorite:




The next one is a few years old, but because it hearkens back to my childhood and the Fresh Prince of Bel Air I had to include it:



Despite the poor coverage, it was a great game to watch and see Navy completely dominate Army and win the 7th in a row. Plus they pitched the first shutout in 30 years. I just hope my Yellow Jackets can do that well in the Peach Bowl. (I refuse to call it the new name).

No comments: