Sunday, August 31, 2008

Year Two Week One

What a fast paced week. It looks as though this semester will be difficult in a completely different way than last year. Gone are the days of weekly one page busy work assignments. These are replaced by more intense and dense reading assignments and papers that make up a larger portion of our grades. As expected, it was an overwhelming week when I looked at all the assignments at first glance. But, as I get into the cycle of school and get the routine down again, it should be less daunting. I am excited about the subjects: Theology, Calvin, Greek and American Christianity. As long as I learn enough to pass my ordination exams next summer I will be satisfied with the semester.

I started my internship with the Campus Ministry here at Duke (the PCUSA variety). It is a great group of students and the supervisor is amazing as well. I am looking forward to seeing if campus ministry is a possibility in my life. Regardless of that outcome, it will be good practice for my future as a Navy Chaplain. Hopefully, I can teach the students as much as they will teach me this year. I really like the idea of learning how to work a ministry of presence, just being there for a group of people when they need me. It makes the job a bit more relaxing as well. I don't need to change the world, I just need to be ready when called.

No comments: