Sunday, August 3, 2008

Chaplain School Part 3

It once again has been a bit of time since the last post and I have since had a birthday in that time. The Chaplain corps takes care of their own much like the submarine force as some of my fellow students went out and got a cake for me to assist in celebrating my birthday. I was even given some gag gifts in the vein of a submarine wardroom. I will have to say the best gifts came from my parents. Dad shipped up some of his famous oatmeal cookies for me and the class and mom went to my house that has sat empty for the last two months and cleaned it up.

Class has remained pretty much the same, more focus on being an officer and how to be a staff officer and less on how to perform ministry in the military, but I think I am numb to the frustration of the curriculum. We did get to go out in the field for a week and play like we were on a field exercise with the Marines. The obstacle course and the Leader Reaction Course were worth the price of admission alone. As soon as I get photos from my classmates, I will try and post a few here. Those two days probably bonded the class more than any other event so far and we got to see what each of us were made of. On the whole, we have an impressive bunch of Chaplains entering the fleet over the next few years. This past week was more on how to report to your first command, but there was a section on learning a specific program for marriage counseling that the Navy uses.

Friday was the first ever change of command for the Chaplain school, and it was the most bizarre one I have attended. There is a typical format used and this one deviated in many places. I was kind of hoping for a typical 1000 ceremony and the rest of the day off, needless to say that did not occur.

A group of us went to Martha's Vineyard last weekend and I thoroughly enjoyed the trip. It is an expensive island, but if you are not staying the night it is not too bad. We learned once we got there that the vineyard was torn down a few years ago, but there is still plenty to see and do over the course of a day. We discovered last Sunday that there are two vineyards about 10 minutes from Newport and we explored those and had a great time. I am Presbyterian so I am allowed to drink in moderation (for those of you cringing at the thought of a minister drinking alcohol). I am looking forward to today and my trip to Boston to see the Red Sox at Fenway. I am neither a big baseball fan or a Red Sox fan, but the chance to see a game at Fenway I just can't pass up. I have wanted to go to a game since showing up so I am taking the chance today to get up there and experience such a fabled ball park.

No comments: